Under the Sun: Reimagining Max Dupain’s 'Sunbaker' 2017 - ExhibitionAustralian Centre for Photography
Peta Clancy | Christopher Day | Destiny Deacon | Michaela Gleave | Nasim Nasr | Sara Oscar | Julie Rrap | Khaled Sabsabi | Yhonnie Scarce | Christian Thompson | Angela Tiatia | Kawita Vatanajyankur | Daniel Von Sturmer | Justene Williams | William Yang
For this large scale exhibition, Under the Sun: Reimagining Max Dupain’s Sunbaker, ACP invited fifteen artists to create new works in response to the iconic Sunbaker by revered Australian photographer Max Dupain.
Through a diverse range of immersive and thought-provoking works, the exhibition explores views of our culture, our identity and our nationhood. Reflecting Australia’s multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multi-faith nature, this audacious exhibition enables a creative and often very personal exploration of the question ‘is there something new under the sun?’
The artists not only interrogate the social and political implications embedded within this image but also challenge the status of this photograph in our visual culture. Pushing the boundaries of the photographic medium, their works expose the aesthetic complexities at play in discussions around collective identity.
Examining the legacy of the past and questioning the relevance this image might retain in the future, the project draws on a range of diverse practitioners and creative forms to consider representation and cultural pluralism. Under the sun also reflects on: the depiction of the idealised body; gender issues; cultural and political ideas relating to immigration and colonisation; and our relationship with the land.
Teaching & Learning Resources
This exhibition is supported by a secondary school learning resource that is closely aligned with the Australian Curriculum:
- The Arts: Drama, Dance, Media Arts, Visual Arts
- Humanities and Social Science: History, Geography, Economics and Business, Civic and Citizenship, ATSI Histories and Culture, Asia and Australian’s Engagement with Asia
Download the Teaching & Learning resource here
- Take a guided tour of Under the sun exhibition here
- Download the Exhibition Catalogue here
- For a brief overview to Under the sun exhibition here
- Listen to individual artists speak in depth about their response to Max Dupain's Sunbaker:
- Hear the panel of artists discuss there works for Under the Sun here
- For Visualising a nation: the politics of an image panel discussion, join Walkley award-winning journalist Helen Vatsikopoulos, academics Dr Stephen Gilchrist, Prof. Meaghan Morris and artist William Yang here
Max Dupain, Sunbaker, 1937. Courtesy of the ACP
Khaled Sabsabi, Stills from 229, 2017. Courtesy the artist and Milani Gallery, Brisbane.
Sara Oscar, Pleasant Island (The Pacific Solution), 2016. Courtesy the artist.
Christian Thompson, This Brutal World, 2017. Courtesy and © the artist and courtesy Michael Reid Sydney + Berlin.
Nasim Nasr, Still from Still for Eighty Years, 2017. Courtesy and © the artist, 2017.
Installation image of Daniel von Sturmer, Sunbaker, (MGA replica), 2017. Courtesy the artist and © Michael Waite, 2017.
Kawita Vatanajyankur, Carrier, 2017. Still from video. Courtesy and © the artist.